Hot Tapping Equipment
Hydra-Stop’s revolutionary, lightweight hot tap machine makes line taps on water and wastewater lines quickly and easily. Superior engineering, rugged construction and fewer moving parts mean Hydra-Tapper is designed to operate without costly and annoying malfunctions. Hydra-Tapper’s light weight also eliminates the need for the expensive blocking and bracing often required to support traditional heavy tapping equipment. The Hydra-Tapper hot tap (or wet tap) machine makes it easy to turn an inexperienced worker into a professional line tapper.
How It Works
Line taps, also known as hot taps or wet taps, provide access to a pressurized pipe without disrupting pressure or service upstream of the tap. A pressure tap is first made by installing a sleeve (such as a line stop fitting or a tapping sleeve) around the water main. The sleeve must be capable of retaining the internal pressure of the water main. A temporary gate valve is attached to the sleeve, through which the tap is performed. Hot tapping water lines can be done for a number of reasons — to install a permanent insertion valve, to make branch connections onto an existing line, or to perform any necessary maintenance or repairs.
Hydra-Tapper Line Tapping Machine Features
- Fewer moving parts
- Flexibility to work on any tapping valve
- Carbide cutter teeth
- Rated at 250 psi
- 4” to 12” iron, asbestos cement, concrete and PVC pipe all applicable
- Optional air drive or hydraulic drive for each unit
- Available in sizes up to 20"
Hydra-Tapper Line Tapping Machine Benefits
- Reduces costly breakdowns due to fewer moving parts
- Easily controls manually due to lightweight machine
- Operates simply and easily
- Repairs quickly in the field
- Cuts fast and accurately
- Minimizes service disruption without system shutdown
- Lowers the cost of system maintenance
- Works with pipes of various materials
- Performs line stops and valve insertions easily due to variable modular design
What is tapping?
While tapping is generally defined as the cutting of a hole in an existing water or sewer main, tapping can also be done on pipelines that carry other fluids. A tapping machine (like the Hydra-Tapper) is used to cut a hole into a pipe made from a range of materials — such as cast iron, concrete, PVC and others. After the tap is complete, a line stop can be implemented, or a branch line added.
What pipe sizes can the Hydra-Tapper tap?
Hydra-Stop manufactures hot tapping machines that can perform pressure taps on pipes from 4" through 20" diameter.
Interested in Expanding Your Services?
Valve insertion, line stopping and side tapping expansion kits are available to add to your Hydra-Tapper equipment. Contact your regional sales manager or Hydra-Stop inside sales for information.